Monday, December 20, 2010

Video Games Took a Shotgun to Board Games Face?

Board games were always there to save a rainy day or on when on holidays in some remote town without any landmark for 200km they would always save us from the inevitable boredom that strikes within 15 minutes of doing nothing. But we rarely play board games anymore.
I came last night, tired from work only to see both my brothers and their friends gathered around a small board game called balderdash. They were screaming, laughing, heckling the hell out of each other. I haven't ever seen them act like that in a group while playing video games. Thats why its such a shame to see video games anti social dominance roll through like a steam train destroying what offline interaction we have.

Bring back the board games! This Christmas holidays I'm promising to myself that i will ditch the wireless controllers (at least for some part) and reintroduce board games to my little cousins. Hopefully they will see how just how fun they can be.

Carl.

2 comments:

  1. interesting point Carl, but do you think board games are just out-dated and have been replaced by a more interactive medium?

    ReplyDelete